TACKLING NOVEL CORONA VIRUS OR COVID-19
What is a Novel Corona Virus?
The whole world is in panic with the arrival and spread of pandemic COVID-19 or the Novel Coronavirus. It is in every news, gossips and even in our thoughts consciously and constantly. Tackling COVID-19 has raised a challenge before humanity and its existence like nothing before. As no medicines or vaccines are available, the only thing that can save us is prevention. That’s the reason WHO as well as all government and private bodies are trying to spread more information regarding it every day and every minute. Here I am also sharing my knowledge and experience related to COVID-19. Hope it will help you to some extent.
Seasonal flu is an “all human virus”. In these viruses, the constituting DNA/RNA chains are recognized by the human immune system. That’s why your body has some immunity resistance to it before it arrives. Novel virus are viruses that have not seen before among human beings. A novel virus is one that has caused human infection and is different from the seasonal human influenza viruses.
And Novel viruses are believed to come from animals like pigs in the case of H1N1 and birds in the case of the Spanish flu. It can be a virus that is isolated from its natural body or isolated as the result of spread to an animal or human host where the virus had not been seen before. The virus also may come up just as the result of genetic mutations.
But the real problem starts once one of these animal viruses mutates, and starts to transfer from animals to humans because our body has no natural or acquired immunity against those viruses. The RNA structure and sequencing of the genes inside those viruses isn’t human, and the human immune system fails in recognizing it. Some viruses are slow whereas some viruses are pretty fast in their mutation. For example, the Swine flu or H1N1 is fatal, but it did not mutate as faster and deadly as the Spanish flu. H1N1 RNA was slower to mutate and it attacked its host differently than the Spanish flu.
Now, in the case of Coronavirus, it is believed to exist in animals from time unknown. Till in Wuhan China, in December 2019, at an animal market, it mutated and jumped from animal to people. It became fatal when it mutated again developed itself and gained the “slippery” ability to jump from human to human. Originally not being in any form a “human virus”, Humans have no known immunity to it neither the doctors have any known medicines for it.
Again the most interesting and scaring part is that it is still in a developing stage and nobody can guarantee a next mutation of it in a more dangerous and different type. As the virus attack types in China and Europe, there have some differences in its attacking timing. That’s the reason scientists are in a dilemma in making a vaccine for it. There is still no fruitful cure to this disease. Hence, Prevention is the best idea.
How can we prevent ourselves from COVID-19
- All are advised to use masks.
- Avoid going out and stress your body unnecessarily.
- Wash your hands regularly with alcoholic hand sanitizer and hand washes and avoid touching directly to your nose or eyes.
- Cover your mouth with your elbow or sleeves or use napkins or tissues while sneezing or coughing and immediately dispose of them into the dustbin.
- Avoid handshaking and hugs particularly when outside.
- Greet with Namaste as per traditional Hindu style instead of handshakes and hugs.
- Keep yourself away from people sneezing or coughing or facing any respiratory issues.
- Keep yourself isolated if you are having any respiratory illness.
- Avoid mass gathering at public places like Bus stand, Railway station, and Metro stations.
- Maintain Social distancing of minimum 3 to 4 feet.
- Sore throat
- Cough and Sneezing
- Tiredness and body aches
- Shortness of breath and breathing difficulties
- Inability to smell (Anosmia) and taste (Dysgeusia)
Be aware of the above issues and keep spreading that awareness with your family, relatives, and friends.
Preparation of Alcohol-based Hand sanitizer:
- Isopropyl alcohol 70-95%v/v
- Aloe Vera gel
- Essential oils
Preparation (200 ml.) :
- Clean your hands first thoroughly and sanitize them before preparation.
- Bring a bowl clean it properly and then pour isopropyl alcohol 100 ml. into it.
- Then add 80ml. Aloe Vera gel to that and mix well with the help of a spoon.
- Then add one tablespoon glycerin and 4/5 drops of any essential oil (flavors of your choice) and stir the mix well.
- Now with the help of a cleaned funnel pour the liquid in the bottles.
- Now press the inner squeeze cap and fasten the top cap.
That’s all your brand new hand sanitizer is ready for use. And it is as good as the ones sold in the market from reputed brands. It is cheaper too.
Isopropyl alcohol or surgical spirit, Glycerine and Aloe Vera gels are available at general medicine stores. Aloe Vera gels also available at general stores, ayurvedic stores or beauty products stores. Essential oils are also found at ayurvedic or beauty products stores. You can get ready to use small plastic squeeze bottles at the nearest homeopathy stores easily.
AUTHOR: SRIBATSA PATTANAYAK
EMAIL: [email protected]